Lullingstone Roman Villa in Easter

Today is the start of Easter Holiday in the UK. Although the weather forecast said it would have rain during the day,  I still decided to go out.

I chose Lullingstone Roman Villa, which could provide all-weather-opportunity to trace Roman domestic life over three centuries in Britain.

On my way to Lullingstone Roman Villa, I saw a beautiful and gorgeous British field view. The fresh green color and the spring flowers in different colors made my journey so enjoyable, especially when I saw a big white cross in a big green field of the long distance.

I was excited for that I saw a religion sign in the Easter holiday, but I didn’t realize the Lullingstone Roman Villa, which I will explore shortly have some of the best evidences for the adoption of Christianity in Britain---- a religion which shook the Roman Empire and changed the world for ever.

The word ‘Villa’ usually refers to a farm. Villas varied in size from many buildings to little more than a house.

Lullingstone Roman villa is a special one for its luxury that had a luxurious bath facilities and a big dining room with spectacular mosaics floor displayed.

It was begun in about AD 100, and developed to suit the tastes and beliefs of successive wealthy owners. It reached its peak of luxury in the mid-4th century when the big new dinning room was added.

In the 19th century it was known there was a roman site in the Darent Valley, but the exact location was not found until 1939. War intervened and excavations did not begin for 10 years.

In 1949-1961, it was excavated. In 1963, it was formally opened to the public. The picture left is the entrance of Lullingstone Roman Villa.

Left the the reception and the shop, I walked in the display area.

Walking along the corridor I saw different rooms ground bases shining under the display lights at my right. At my left there are pictures with English instructions about what you can see here. It was so informative that included history, religion, language, work, food and fashion, etc all about Roman’s life. It made me feel I was back to my university study again. It also made me realized my knowledge about Roman’s life was so poor.

According to academic study, Lullingstone Roman Villa was occupied for 300 years, but during that time it went through four major phases of development. It was abandoned in the 5th century and many eventually have been destroyed by fire. The picture was taken from the model of the Villa displaying at the second floor.