Loch Fyne in Portsmouth ------- ridiculous portion and long wait

Advantages: great fresh seafood.

Disadvantages: too expensive and not good service.

After visiting Portsmouth Historic Dockyard I had my dinner at Loch Fyne Oyster Bar & Restaurant in Portsmouth. It was the second time I have tried Loch Fyne restaurant. One year ago I tried Loch Fyne at Bluewater, Kent.

Brief information about Loch Fyne Oyster Bar & Restaurant:

Loch Fyne Oyster Bar & Restaurant is a chain restaurant that specializes in seafood and fish dishes and developed from a small, roadside stall on the banks of Loch Fyne in 2000 to a group of businesses. So far there are over 45 Loch Fyne restaurants around the UK. According to their statement the business philosophy of Loch Fyne is good food, sustainably sourced and simply presented by people who care. That means only the very best produce – farmed and fished to the highest quality and environmental standards reaches the kitchens and plates of their customers.

Location and Atmosphere:

Loch Fyne Oyster Bar & Restaurant in Portsmouth is located right in a Vulcan Building on the Canal side, the heart of Gunwharf Quays. It’s not far from the latest landmark in Portsmouth: Spinnaker Tower. It’s very noticeable among restaurants in Gunwharf Quays.
Loch Fyne Oyster Bar & Restaurant in Portsmouth is a relatively small restaurant. Their tables are small, but the chairs are quite cosy. The decoration celebrates the theme of fish and the sea. The staff is smartly attired, and friendly.

What did we have:

Loch Fyne menu has a decent variety of fish and seafood dishes, vegetarian and meat dishes, as well as refreshment options. Because we both wanted to have seafood, so we spent more time to find available seafood dishes.

We each ordered a starter and a main course, as well as a glass of wine plus a bottle of water and a portion of new potatoes.
Our Main courses were: Chilled half lobster with ginger and lime dressing served with a rocket and chicory salad -£14.85 and Seafood selection - grilled salmon, sea bass and king prawn with seared scallops served with lemon parsley butter, spinach and new potatoes - £16.50.
Our starters were priced £5.75 and £6.25 separately. It was £4.45 per glass of white wine. The large bottle of still water was £3 for two glasses. A portion of new potatoes was £2.50. So for the meal we totally paid over £ 63 including 10% tip.
My opinions:

Because I didn’t book my seat, so I was led to the bar area where I felt too crowded. I felt uncomfortable with the limited space. Next to me it was a young couple with a boy who made such noise.

We ordered our food before the young couple, but they were served earlier than us. Despite that I felt I still waited too long. In fact the restaurant was very quiet at the time.
The waitress tried to persuade us to order more by providing the wrong information. Our one main course already had new potatoes, but she suggested us to order another one. However at last we just got one portion of new potatoes but paid twice for it. Unfortunately I found the mistake when I was already at home. Also she didn’t collect our empty plates on time. So I didn’t think she deserved the tip of £7.

Last but not least I was not very satisfied with the food we had. The starters were in small portions. I was not impressed with them, so I even could not remember their names when I’m writing this review. They were seafood but were overcooked and too oily. Our seafood selection was surprisingly small: one salmon, one sea bass and one king prawn. We both felt being cheated for the price. However our another main course was really good. Although it was just a half lobster, but big enough for me. Having lobster was the main reason for me to visit Loch Fyne in Portsmouth. I got what I wanted.

I know seafood meals are always expensive, however I still think Loch Fyne is an over-priced restaurant considering the portion, the price and the service. I felt I didn’t get value for money and personally I would not visit Loch Fyne in Portsmouth again.