My First Visit to Perth of Australia

On 27 December 2013 I finished my Malaysian travel and flew from LCCT in Kuala Lumpur to Perth, Australia, which was the first stop of my travel in this country. 

Brief information about Perth:

Perth is the capital of the Western Australia and the fourth most populous city in Australia to date. 

The city is named for Perth, Scotland. It was originally founded by Captain James Stirling in 1829 as the administrative centre of the Swan River Colony. In 1856 Perth achieved city status.

Things to see and do in Perth:

(1) Kings Park and Botanic Gardens

The Kings Park is one of the largest inner city parks in the world. It was originally called 'The Perth Park' in 1895, but the name was changed in 1901 to 'Kings Park' to mark the accession of King Edward VII to the British throne.

The Kings Park covers over 400 hectares. You can walk, jog and cycle there. The Botanic gardens support 250 species of plants and around 100 species of native birds, reptiles and insects. There are few memorials to commemorate the history and courage of the people of Western Australia.

(2) The Perth Mint

The Perth Mint is one of the world's oldest mints still operating from its original premises. You can watch a gold pouring performance and view Australia's largest collection of natural gold nuggets. You can also see precious metal coins being manufactured.

(3)The Bell Tower

The building of Bell Tower is the landmark of Perth. The tower houses the 12 bells of St Martins from Trafalgar Square. Not only can you learn the history of the bells, you can also have a stunning views of Perth and the Swan river.

(4) Pinnacles Desert

The Pinnacles Desert is a part of Nambung National Park, which covers 17491 hectares. You can drive your car through this eerie desert, amongst the iconic Pinnacles, which is believed to have been created millions of years ago when seashells were broken down into sand and then eroded by water and wind.

(5) Fremantle

Fremantle is also called Freo. It is 30 minute drive distance from the city of Perth. Fremantle was the western gateway to Australia. Today it is a working port, host to a big fishing fleet as well as container ships and large cruise vessels.

Fremantle Prison is WA's only World Heritage listed building. It was built by convicts in the 1850s and was used as a place of incarceration for 136 years.

The Round House is WA's first public building, which was built for colonial prisoners. At 1pm every day the cannon on the gun deck is fired. 

Fishing Boat Harbour is famous for its succulent fish and chips, locally brewed beer and waterside restaurants. Cicerello's is W estern Australia's best-known fish and chips shop, which has been established since 1903.

(6) The Beaches

Along Western Australia there are a lot of beaches. Near the city of Perth you can visit Scarborough Beach, Floreat Beach, City Beach, Cottesloe Beach, South Beach and Coogee Beach, just to list a few. Cottesloe Beach is the biggest and most popular beach in Perth. Personally I like City Beach more than others I have visited. It's quieter and near the city with a good bar nearby. I saw a fantastic sunset and had a good meal there.

My opinion:

From 27 December 2013 to 5 January 2014 I stayed in Perth. The more I know the city the more I like it. It has a blue sky, fresh air, accessible beaches and endless sunshine. The temperature was not very high. You can always have a chance to go out walking, jogging and cycling, not to mention surfing in the Indian Ocean. There were no traffic jam, I mean I didn't come cross. The city was very quiet, but there were many places to shopping and dinning.

Before I visited Perth, I didn't know much about it, so I didn't have a high expectation. However my time in Perth was really great. I would like to say it is the best time I have had during my long journey. I hope I can visit the city again and explore more around the Western Australia.